"I do not agree with what you have to say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it"

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it"
-Voltaire

Monday, May 31, 2010

Baseball cards bringing out the kid in me!


Life gets rough right? Well it does for me from time to time. I'm getting closer and closer to the end of my college career, worried about grades, trying to stay in shape for the upcoming baseball season, thinking about future jobs, having my girlfriend ten hours away... It can all get pretty frustrating. But what better way to clear the air of the soul by letting yourself feel like a kid again??!!

Lately i have been looking through my vast collection of baseball cards, and i tell ya... it is more than doing the trick. As a kid, i would just lay in my floor for hours just looking at the different cards, keeping track of the stats and so on. I don't know why these cardboard, credit card - size portraits of these guys playing the game that i love are so awesome. I guess that when you have literally thousands of these things, you begin to see trends from player to player, team to team, what they looked like as rookies, how the look as veterans, and so on. It is basically like an allegory of modern america. You see it all just by looking at these amazing specimens of collectors items.


It's funny to see how the differences in hair style, way of dress, use of equipment, and lets not forget the STEROID ERA, have come to characterize how we view the game of baseball. Side note: a vast majority of the baseball cards that i own are from the late eighties into the mid-ninenties and it absolutely insane... that's the time period that steroid use was swept under the rug and players used at will, and it showed! It was like i was looking at the San Francisco 49ers instead of the Giants half of the time! Anyways.. The baseball cards tell a story. They take me back so much and it is a feeling of relief. If you own baseball cards, look at'em for God's sake.. Either way, find something that will take you back.. you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?